Friday, February 5, 2010

Mountains of Clouds

Photographing the sky is not what you can consider an easy task, at least not for me. 

Firstly, I'm not the kind of guy who appreciates fishing prawns the whole day in one of those prawn shops. So if you were thinking that I'd be driving around town cloud-hunting, you're very wrong. Don't get me wrong. I wish I could, but I just don't have that luxury of time. Maybe I'll do that one day when I retire, if the clouds are still there.


Secondly, it's not easy to find the perfect angle to take a clear shot at the sky. There'd always be other elements vying for your attention. Big fat trees, electric poles & telephone cables all want to be in the frame.


So in the end, you'd just have to snap whatever you can get & then do the cropping when you get home.
 
Now, I don't know how you would find these pics. But I think I've managed to salvage a bit of dignity here.
 These remind me of Zhang Yimou's 1/3 framing in Yellow Earth, where the heavy sky sits on top of the thin land below.

No comments:

Post a Comment